What are your expectations this holiday season?
Do you feel like the Christmas Spirit passed you by?
Holidays can be a little tricky. If you have great memories of holidays past … when you think of them they can bring you joy or make you sad that this holiday is different.
I feel your pain …
Christmas was always a BIG deal in our home growing up. I have the fondest memories of family and friends at holiday time. Many of those people are not here anymore. That can make me feel sad.
A few years back when I was having a particularly difficult time with this thought process, I had an epiphany – Each holiday is different. Just like snowflakes.
What would happen if I just let each one fall organically? Could I accept each holiday for the love and gifts that it brings? I wasn’t sure, but I was willing to give it a try.
I sure am glad I did!
I have not had a sad holiday since!
Sure, I miss my loved ones who have gone on. Sure, my family looks different now than it did then. But there are some things that have not changed.
- I am still me! I am a giver. I love to give. What better time than at Christmas?
- If no one else wants to be with me, I want to be with myself! I can celebrate that I have truly learned to love and enjoy me!
- It is still the season to celebrate Jesus’ birthday. My relationship with Jesus fills my heart with unexplainable peace and joy.
- I DO have people in my life who love me. What a great opportunity to connect with them and thank them for being there!
- This is a great time to get out and explore other people’s festive creativity. I can go look at lights and festive decorations to stir up my creativity and make me smile.
No two holidays are exactly the same.
This year, I hope you are inspired to Show Up Well for yourself and look at your season just like you would a snowflake to embrace the unique beauty that it brings!